So shell login can be slow if you installed node versions using nvm and used nvm to set a default interpreter. The solution that helped me was to unset the default node but that means that there’s no node executable unless you manually first run
nvm use node or setup .nvmrc in projects… If limited to the former solution, that means PHPStorm might complain node is missing.
I had success installing node from nodesource as the “system node” fallback. weird flex but ok. Some node is better than the right node.
Where do I go to figure out if a pc component is compatible with a version of Ubuntu?
Why FloC will expose your interests to all websites, on the Vivaldi blog
So PHPStorm couldn’t find my node and vagrant executables… until I changed the
source command in my
.zshrc to point to a file instead of a symlink to the file. Which is weird, as it worked correctly for login and interactive shells before the change. Puzzled.
Was going to work on repoman (https://github.com/svandragt/repoman) for a bit today but it’s working well as it is.
It’s interesting to hear the arguments against digital vaccine passports and discrimination and then map them to proving settled status for EU nationals.
Time for real test driven development: don’t put any feature requests in the sprint unless a user test highlighted it as missing
I have been keeping myself updated with the news around the Settled Status changes coming into effect in less than 100 days, and have successfully received it some time ago. However, I’m trying to find answers to a few concerns I’m having, and possibly correct my misunderstanding of the issues around this badly thought through concept of proving status.
- Say a person with Settled Status requires urgent hospital treatment, how do they prove settled status if they’re not in a position to give a share code? for example, seriously injured without partner present, phone running out of juice etc. Do I have to be able to to the government website to get a share code after a car accident?
- How does anyone requiring proof of Settled Status determine whether the person is an EU citizen settled in the UK, or a British national with a foreign sounding name for example? They can’t always know the nationality of the person, so have to make a judgement on whether a request for status is required — and this can only be based by making a discriminating judgement then? Such as “does the name sound non-british”, skin colour, accent.
- If so, does that not make the process discriminatory at it’s core, and against the law?
- How does someone know the difference between a British person with an EU sounding name, and an EU person that convinces the other party a sharecode is not required, without requiring all British people to present a form of identification? Does that mean everyone will need to carry identification of nationality?
I’m happy to be corrected on my understanding, but I’m worried around vulnerable people (British and otherwise) being refused access to essential services and human rights in certain cases; and being discriminated against, structurally, in less than 100 days.
If I get any answers I will update this post.
If you set a toggle Do Not Disturb keyboard shortcut (it’s under Mission Control) you can then use Keyboard Maestro to toggle DND when your video conferencing software is launching and quitting!
I’m seeing too often that a flashy solution is chosen and confusing everyone else on the team apart from the person picking the solution.
I wish Spark, but I do my own email, old skool style.
You know you have too many side projects when you have to organise them by programming language 🙈
One of the better films I’ve seen lately and a good comment on society Bad Hair (2020).
How are other PHP developers managing the different tooling environments switching between projects?
TIL you can move sticky notes between workspaces so that you can track what activity is happening on each.
New Taskfile entry to compress a directory using xz and delete it:
(tar -cf - $1/ | xz -9e --threads=8 -c - > $1.tar.xz && trash $1) &
When you keep muting / unmuting on video calls and realise it’s your belly is pressing the space bar 😬
Search Firefox bookmark contents, with this commandline client. Fafi extracts the content of the bookmarks and stores them into a searchable SQLite database
New in this release:
- skip .test domains
- new argument—max-exists (replaces —stop-when-exists)
- incremental indexing based since last indexed bookmark
- user chooses firefox profile to index when multiple profiles are detected
- update dependencies (python 3.8 required)
- security updates
View on Github