I'm always looking for a cross platform good value note taking solution.
I currently use Joplin.
I have the following requirements:
- Cross platform native client (macOS and Linux, iOS and web optional)
- Supports images (copy paste and by upload)
- Capture webpages or supports pasting in part of webpages, that can be updated (not just a study tool)
- Export option that retains text formatting
- Linking between notes.
- Fast full-text search.
- Some form of organisation / tagging.
So far I have used and dismissed:
- Apple Notes: export options are shit (tip: use AppleScript) no linux client
- OneNote and Apple Notes: No cross platform native clients
- Zim: sorry it just doesn't look nice!
- Google Docs: I avoid the Google ecosystem for privacy reasons, plus compared to Dropbox Paper the experience is worse.
Anything based on and markdown files: My notes require illustrations and these tools cannot add inline images / paste a - screenshot into the editor.
- EverNote: no official linux client, £5 a month
- Dropbox Paper: lack of import options and export is single pdfs only.
- Workflowy: still use it as an outliner (for rationalising thoughts), it doesn't support inline images but with some help images can be attached to the description.
- Google Keep: See Google Docs.